The 7D and 60D are getting long in the tooth. As long time users of both models, it’s exciting to see what Canon will come up with next. We’ll be updating this space with the latest rumors on the 7D2 and 70D, with our comments in italics…
Feb 22, 2013 – New spec list for 7D2
- 24.1 mp crop sensor
- Dual card slots
- 61 AF Points
- GPS & Wifi
- ISO & build quality like 5D3
- August release date
First rumors in a while, but look pretty concrete. This looks like the new 1D4 – a pro sports and action camera with a longer reach, and smaller, lighter body. I think that will bode well with a lot of people. Canon just needs to wisely fill the gap with a capable 70D.
October 10, 2012 – 7DII in January
- Announced before CP+ in Japan
- No new 70D for quite a while
- 10fps and 25MP max
Those numbers kinda scare me. A tiny APS-C sensor doesn’t need so many pixels, though Nikon has pulled it off well in the D3200.
September 24, 2012 – 2013 Release Date
- New sensor will be 20+ MP
- 2013 release date
- Delays have held up production
First rumor in a while…good to have some “news” about Canon’s APS-C line. The 60D and 7D are aging…
June 28, 2012 – 7D Successors
- 70D will move up the line, spec’d close to the current 7D, but with a new higher megapixel APS-C sensor.
- 7DX – APS-H sensor will return to the Canon lineup and fit between the 70D and 5D Mark III.
I wouldn’t bank on that last one. However the 70D moving up seems entirely plausible.
June 14, 2012 – Full Frame 7D2
- 3 new EOS bodies before Photokina in September
- No entry level full frame DSLR
- Full frame 7D2 (unlikely!)
- 70D becoming the new flagship APS-C model
I would take the 7D2 as full frame rumor with a grain of salt. Don’t see much sense in Canon changing that model from an APS-C to full frame. However, I think many of us would like to see an entry level full frame that costs less than the 3.5K 5D3…
May 22, 2012 – 100% viewfinders
- 100% viewfinders for both cams
- 19 Point AF System from 7D for the 70D
- 61 Point AF system from the 5D3 for the 7D2
- Continuous AF in LiveView & Video Recording for both
- Digic 5 (2 for the 7DII)
- September Announcement
- Camera capable of 10fps is in testing
- Variation of the 61pt AF system found in the 5D Mark III and 1D X
With 10fps and a 61pt AF system, it seems like a camera aimed for the pro sports market, especially with the departure of the 1.3x 1D series. Sports shooters should be happy with the extra reach.
May 9, 2012 – New Crop Camera
- Amalgamation of the 60D and 7D into one camera.
- XXD line would go back to being a higher end camera.
- No mention of whether it would be called 70D or 7D Mark II
- No big megapixel jump from the current 18mp, though different image sensor than the T4i
- No announcement date yet…
This looks like it would make many old XXD shooters happy. I’d personally love to see a combo of the two cameras.